The official logo of the Sand Lake Historical Society

Historical Highlights

Tremont Calendars


Tremont Lumber Company calendar from 1975.

In 1958, Ken Tremont started a lumber business in the old depot building of the Troy and New England Railway (see 1961 and 1975 photos). It served the community for their building needs until 1985, when Tremont moved to a new, larger store and lumber yard. For over 25 years, Tremont Lumber offered calendars featuring historic scenes of the Town of Sand Lake. Many of those scenes are reproduced below.

1961 The Trolley station for the Troy and New England Railway. Here is shown the station with the boarding houses on either side and the now "motorized" taxis ready to take the passengers to their desired destinations throughout Averill Park, Burden Lake, Sand Lake and Taborton. Both of the houses are still standing. The station was razed in 2004.

Boarding houses and trolley station for the Troy and New England Railway, Averill Park village, NY.

1962 Hilke's Averill Park Hotel. This picture can be compared to the two in the SAND LAKE book. On p.53, it was Scram's Collegiate Institute; p.46 shows it when Horatio Averill converted it into the hotel. It is now the site of the Church of the Covenant.

Hilke's Averill Park Hotel, Averill Park village, NY.

1963 Travelers' Rest. This picture gives a close-up of the beautiful hotel that stood where Miller's Automotive Services is now (see also "Gas Stations in the Town of Sand Lake"). We get a side view of the hotel on p.43 of the SAND LAKE book. It housed the Averill Park Post Office in the 1920s and was destroyed by fire in 1939.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Travelers' Rest Hotel, Averill Park village, NY.

1964 Burden Lake Hotel, a.k.a. Maple Grove Hotel on Burden Lake. This picture is of the hotel built after the one shown in the SAND LAKE book on p. 73 was torn down. This building had two fires one in 1968 and again in 1986.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Burden Lake Hotel, a.k.a. Maple Grove Hotel on Burden Lake, Averill Park, NY.

1965 I.N. Wright's Drug Store in 1900 -- "Dr. Wright's Drugstore." The Averill Park Pharmacy was run by Dr. I.N. Wright, with a grocery store run by Tom Kennedy in the front section. Frank Sowalsky's Ice Cream Parlor was in the building on the side. An A&P store was there from the mid-1930s to the 1950s. Ben and Doris Gauch had a gift shop and appliance store there from 1952 to 1986. More recently, the building housed Dillenbeck's American Karate and currently is vacant.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

I.N. Wright's Drug Store, Averill Park, NY.

1966 The calendar (as well as the sign on the building) identifies this picture as "Lakeview Hotel -- Sand Lake, NY" (not to be confused with the Lake View in Averill Park village). Closer investigation determined it is Hogarty's on Burden Lake Road, on 3rd lake. The building still stands and is an apartment house. In the 1960s, Red Cross swimming lessons were held on the beach.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Lakeview Hotel, a.k.a. Hogarty's, 3rd Burden Lake, near Averill Park, NY.

1967 "Elkhorn Hotel - Now Journey's End before 1928 - West Sand Lake." The hotel, circa 1890, was also known as the Elk Horn Hotel and the Arlington Hotel. It was a trolley stop for the Troy & New England Railway Company. The tracks ran close to what was then the rear door of the hotel. The front door of the hotel was on old Route 43, now Werger Road. Route 43 now runs where the old trolley tracks did; thus, the former rear door of the old Arlington Hotel became the front door of the Journey's End Hotel. The restaurant is now named The Arlington House.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Elkhorn Hotel, a.k.a. Arlington Hotel, and Journey's End, West Sand Lake, NY.

1968 Crist Crape's Central Hotel. This hotel was built c. 1800 by Clement Sliter and had various owners before it became Crist Crape's Central Hotel. It was located on the southeast corner of Taborton Road and Routes 43 and 66. The Crape family raised much of the meat, poultry and produce to serve to persons traveling from Albany to Boston by stagecoach and from Troy by horse and buggy or trolley. The hotel had a beautiful mahogany bar and a ballroom upstairs, both notable attractions. It was razed in 1957.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Crist Crape's Central Hotel, Sand Lake, NY.

1969 McLaren Knitting Mill. Compare this picture to the one in the SAND LAKE book on pp. 24-25 showing McLaren Knitting Mill, Thermo Knitting Mill (now Bonded Concrete) and Cedarhurst. In this picture, the trolley tracks that ran between the mill and Cedarhurst can be clearly seen.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

McLaren Knitting Mill, West Sand Lake, NY.

1970 The Brewster House. Begun as a tavern and then enlarged as a hotel, this building had several owners before it was acquired by Fred Brewster and became the Brewster House. In 1897, it burned and was rebuilt. Subsequently, it housed various businesses, including a bus garage for the KLWM Bus Company. The building was demolished in the early 1930s. Several gas stations and A.K. Wolfe's Appliance Store have since occupied this corner; currently, Rite Aid stands on the site of this and several other buildings to the west, including the old post office (see 1972 calendar below).

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

The Brewster House, West Sand Lake, NY.

1971 Bart Warren's Blacksmith Shop. The blacksmith shop was on Route 150 south, near the Four Corners. From left to right are Dennis Warren, William Mielenz, and Bart Warren. Bart Warren was the father of Joseph Warren Sr., former town clerk and supervisor.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Bart Warren's Blacksmith Shop, West Sand Lake, NY.

1972 West Sand Lake Post Office. Here we have a closeup of the front of the West Sand Lake Post Office. The picture in the SAND LAKE book on p.11 gives a good view of its location on Albany Street. In 1978, the post office relocated to the 43 Mall.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

[Old] West Sand Lake, NY, Post Office.

1974 The First Presbyterian Church of Sand Lake. From 1808 until 1835, Presbyterians worshipped at the meetinghouse that is now Sand Lake Baptist Church. The First Presbyterian Church of Sand Lake was dedicated October 28, 1835. In 1967, it merged with the Averill Park Methodist Church and formed the Church of the Covenant. The Town of Sand Lake purchased the church, remodeled it, added offices, and used it as the Town Hall from 1972 to 1999. It has been extensively remodeled and in fall 2003 became the Sand Lake Center for the Arts.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

First Presbyterian Church of Sand Lake, NY, now Sand Lake Center for the Arts.

1975 Troy and New England Railway. Here's a busy picture of the trolley arriving at the station and the horse and buggy taxis and drivers available for the passengers to be transported to the end of their journey.

Troy and New England Railway station, Averill Park, NY.

1976

William Mielenz's Wagonmaker's Shop. Mielenz's carriage shop operated from 1874 to 1917 and was located on the southwest corner of the Four Corners in West Sand Lake. It provided "carriages, wagons, carts, sleighs, harnesses, blankets, whips, etc." Proudly displaying one of their sleighs are from left to right, Albert Cipperly, Albert Goewey, William Mielenz, George Eweg and Bart Warren.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

William Mielenz's Wagonmaker's Shop, West Sand Lake, NY.

Troy & New England Railway. Another 1976 calendar had three small pictures at the Troy & New England Railway. The bottom picture shows the horses covered and waiting for the trolley which has just arrived. As soon as they are loaded, the last phase for the passengers getting off the trolley will soon be underway. The upper left photo show a distance view of the trolley coming into the Averill Park station and Clum's Hotel, the white building on the right. The picture in the upper right shows a close up of Clum's Hotel, which is still standing and is an apartment house.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Three early 20th century views of the area of the Troy & New England Railway station. Click for a larger version.

1977 Brown's Crooked Lake House. This photo is very similar to the earlier one in the SAND LAKE book on p.94 when it was Minahan's Wendell Inn circa 1910. When it was Brown's, Gov. Theodore Roosevelt and his family were frequent guests.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Brown's Crooked Lake House, near Averill Park, NY.

1981 Sunday Morning after Mass, St. Henry's Church, Averill Park. Spiritual guidance was first given to area German Catholics in private homes in Poestenkill. St. Mary's of the Woods Chapel was built c.1860 in Poestenkill. The original wooden structure of St. Henry's church was dedicated on April 17, 1870, in Averill Park, on land donated by John Aken, a well-known mill owner. In 1977, the building was sold and moved to be reassembled. The brick church was built in 1902 and was renovated in 1982.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

St. Henry's Church, Averill Park, NY.

1982 The Glass Lake Methodist Episcopal Church. This view from the hill shows the church with Glass Lake in the background. (The house on the right is owned by the Ackner family.) Built c. 1833, the wooden church was ravaged by fire in 1913; after the fire, a new stone building was erected and dedicated on November 15, 1914. In 1940, the congregation merged with that of the Averill Park Methodist Church. This building later became the Perry Funeral Chapel, now the Perry-Komdat Funeral Chapel.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

The Glass Lake Methodist Episcopal Church, near Averill Park, NY.

1983 District School #1, Sheer Road.

This school was located on the west side of Burden Lake at the northwest corner of Sheer and Bittiig Roads.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

SEE ALSO our web feature
on town schools prior to 1929.
District School #1, Sheer Road, Averill Park, NY.
1984 Community Club House at Faith Mills, built by W.D. Mahony, Jan. 1919, as a Recreation Building for the Millworkers and Townspeople. The Community Clubhouse provided after-hours social activities for mill workers and townspeople. It had a movie theater, four bowling lanes, a cafeteria and a large meeting hall with a stage. It was the entertainment center of the town for many years. The building no longer stands.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Community Club House at Faith Mills, Averill Park, NY.

1986 Lake Pharmacy -- old and new buildings. Page 20 of the SAND LAKE book shows the mural of Burton Thomas's home painted on the side of the new pharmacy (l. in photo) at the Bicentennial. This was the site of his home. Sand Lake Dry Cleaning & Laundromat is now on that site.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Lake Pharmacy -- old and new buildings, West Sand Lake, NY.

1987 Main Street, Averill Park. The 1987 calendar is a view of Main Street, Averill Park looking west from the corner of Routes 43 and (old) 66 and Eastern Union Turnpike towards the current Jiffy Mart; the trees are no more.

Early 20th century view of Main Street Averill Park looking north towards the intersection of State Route 43 and 'old route 66'; click for a larger version.

Calendar date unknown C.A. Nash Grocery Store. Can you help with this photo? When was Nash's Grocery Store at the location in this picture, which shows it on the northeast corner going up Taborton Road? Chester Nash acquired the A.E. Horton Store (later Nash's, Country Token, [Jill's] Hidden Gardens and currently vacant 2/12) as shown on p. 80 of the SAND LAKE book in 1911.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

C.A. Nash Grocery Store, Sand Lake, NY.

Calendar date unknown Main Street in Averill Park, Looking East. This 1920s view shows, from left to right, Traveler's Rest Hotel, Jake Warger's Dry Goods Store (which later became [Eastman's] Averill Park Market and Variety Store), George Shriner's Store and the Averill Park Post Office. Which will win the race: the horse-drawn carriage or the "horseless carriage"?

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

Main Street in Averill Park, NY, looking east.

Calendar date unknown Glass Lake School District #8. Glass Lake School was on the corner of Glass Lake Road and Routes 43 & 66. It still stands and is the home of Mrs. Terry Rutherford. Behind the house are the boys' and girls' outhouses, now used as storage.

Click on the image at right for a larger version.

SEE ALSO our web feature on
town schools prior to 1929.

Glass Lake School District #8, near Averill Park, NY.


Tremont Lumber Company calendar from 1975.

1975

Tremont Lumber Company calendar from 1976.

1976

Tremont Lumber Company calendar from 1986.

1986

Tremont Lumber Company calendar from 1987.

1987

Back to the
Home Page

glassblower

Back to the Highlights Page

Have any information on the above calendar pictures? Can you help us fill gaps in our collection? If so, please contact us!

The official logo of the Sand Lake Historical Society
Created 10/7/2005; last revised January 10, 2016 -- asm. © 2018 Sand Lake Historical Society; all rights reserved.